Eugene David
...The One-Minute Pundit

Friday, May 09, 2003


And the flip side of Howellism is Sondheimism, the relentless hero worship of the most unmusical composer ever to be called a genius. "BETTER THAN PORGY AND BESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Let's see, better than "Summertime," "I Got Plenty o' Nothin'," "It Ain't Necessarily So," "Bess, You Is My Woman Now"....Hum me ONE song from a Sondheim MASTERPIECE other than that self-pitying dirge "Send in the Clowns," which is just "I Remember It Well" after a visit to a shrink. I'll say this: if Puccini or Bizet had written one opera as tuneless as any of our modern hero's MASTERPIECES, he'd have killed himself for his lack of inspiration. (I'm disappointed that Terry "Unpronounceable" Teachout wrote this piece of garbage. I thought he had more sense than that. I guess not.)

Home
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker