Eugene David
...The One-Minute Pundit

Sunday, July 19, 2009


Why was I almost rooting against Tom Watson at the Open today? Certainly not him; the man all but invented the terms "gentleman" and "sportsmanship". Perhaps because I sensed in its default mode The Media-Industrial Complex roots for The Golfing Machine; but it broke down and we needed a consolation prize, and Tom was certainly it. But something happened: THE PROFIT CENTER and MOST TRUSTED happened, and I foresaw a flood of bad puns, and the fake hearty congratulations from boomer editors congratulating their late middle age -- hate to repeat myself, the whole sleazy Our Town routine, PGA edition. I'm sure Stewart Cink got a deafening round of lukewarm applause for being younger than Tom. But we've come to a pretty pass when we even feel slightly compelled to harbor bad feelings towards as truly a decent man as Tom Watson -- and it isn't his fault.

Home
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker