Eugene David
...The One-Minute Pundit

Monday, January 27, 2003


For at least a week, while walking down a Center City street, I've passed a stoop with a pile of bedding. I suspect there's someone within it. I needn't tell you it's been so cold I fear to walk outdoors lest ice form on my nose. (It should moderate some this week.) Of course, in a humane society, someone would do something about the pile of flesh in the pile of bedding, but someone can't. Why? He has his rights. It's kidnapping. No one can tell another person what he/she/it can do. The more fatuous may quote Walden, or William O. Douglas. An enterprising "reporter" could turn it into a Knight Ridder "j'accuse."

Such is our society's melancholy state when (to cite Professor InstaPundit) news hacks are our default public intellectuals, and all they read is their own copy.

Home
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker