Eugene David
...The One-Minute Pundit

Sunday, December 07, 2003


I suppose I should get excited that our IGGLES are in the playoffs, but my mind does too much free associating for me to get joy out of it anymore. I think of the game and I think of the huge shakedowns and the gaping holes in city budgets; I think of $100-million-a-year athletes who could leave on the slightest tantrum -- just like their teams; I think of incompetent CEOs with luxury boxes on the 50-yard line, propping their feet on super-expensive seats and smoking a super-expensive super-stinky ceegar, who then spend the whole rest of the week trashing their employees; I think of stupid fans who think the blowout they've just seen was a thrill for the ages, and scream and honk their horns with imbecilic abandon; I think of drunks and fights and mayhem; I think of RUPERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and SUMNER and MICKEYMOUSE NIXON, the megatyrants who spent gazillions to gum up the game with their visual junk; I think of the RIOTS a Super Bore win could bring, with its unaccountable death and destruction. Perhaps I think too much; but maybe if professional sports mavens hadn't spent their entire time antagonizing their fans these last few decades I wouldn't have to think, the old pleasure I once had watching sports on television.

Home
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker