Eugene David
...The One-Minute Pundit

Saturday, August 06, 2011


Why bother with computers? I was busy setting up my snazzy new Eh-SUS laptop (I didn't realize these things are so heavy -- and mine's a 14") and installing the Bugmeisters' endless Windows Updates (80 at last count) when I went clicked onto the IE8 I was about to upgrade and this had to pop up on MSN as a supposedly trending story -- and I'm expurgating it for a reason:

L--- G--- FOUND DEAD!!!!!!!!!! (Deadly overemphasis added)

Well even one who must roll his eyes at the name was horrified -- until he found this:

L--- G--- FOUND DEAD IN GAS STATION!!!!!!!!!!

So the Bugmeisters added an unfunny hoax to the long string of UPDATES they inflicted on me. And they chose an especially rotten day for it when thirty of our brave soldiers died in Afghanistan. Somebody in Redmond deserves to get BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLMERED -- and won't.

P. S. Yep, my machine is snaz-ZY! A lot of people talked it down on SlickDeals and the tech sites for dubious reasons -- I guess because it doesn't have a top-of-the-line graphics card, or even because of its funny model number. Buying a laptop is many compromises, but this device seems to have minimal ones, though I'll still have to triple the memory. Windows 7 is SLOW on 2GB. Even so it almost made me ponder why I spent over $1500 on my homebuilt model. Give credit to Eh-SUS too for its minimalist but sturdy corrugated packaging -- though God knows UPS tried given the faint black scuffing throughout.

One other reason not to trust the Web: I got it from the widely derided TigerDirect.com, the outfit that supplied most of my big rig's parts. I did not have one problem with my four deliveries, but as Bose knows bad reps can die hard.

Home
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker